What does the term “plus size” mean? The term “plus size” refers to clothing sizes that are typically larger than the average sizes sold in stores. Plus size clothing is designed to fit women with larger bodies and typically starts at a size 14 or 16.
It’s important to note that the term “plus size” is a label, and it’s not necessarily reflective of a woman’s health or fitness level. Women of all shapes and sizes can be healthy and fit, and it’s not helpful to make assumptions based on someone’s clothing size.
Understanding body positivity: Body positivity is a movement that encourages people to love and accept their bodies, regardless of their size, shape, or appearance. For plus size women, body positivity can be especially important, as they may face societal pressure to conform to unrealistic beauty standards.
If you’re a plus size woman, it’s important to remember that your worth is not determined by your clothing size. You deserve to feel confident and comfortable in your body, and there’s no shame in seeking out clothing that fits well and makes you feel good.
Tips for shopping for plus size clothing: Shopping for plus size clothing can be challenging, but there are a few tips that can make the process easier:
- Look for stores that specialize in plus size clothing. Many mainstream retailers only carry a limited selection of plus size clothing, so it can be helpful to seek out stores that cater specifically to plus size women.
- Don’t be afraid to try on different sizes. Clothing sizes can vary widely between brands, so it’s important to try on different sizes to find the best fit. Remember, the size on the tag is just a number, and it doesn’t reflect your worth or value.
- Look for clothing that flatters your body shape. There’s no one-size-fits-all approach to dressing for plus size women, as everyone’s body shape is unique. Experiment with different styles and cuts to find clothing that flatters your body and makes you feel confident.
Tips for dressing for plus size women: Once you’ve found clothing that fits well and makes you feel good, it’s important to know how to style it in a way that flatters your body. Here are a few tips for dressing for plus size women:
- Invest in high-quality undergarments. A well-fitting bra and underwear can do wonders for your confidence and the way your clothing fits.
- Consider wearing shapewear. Shapewear can help smooth out any lumps or bumps and create a more streamlined silhouette. However, it’s important to choose shapewear that’s comfortable and doesn’t constrict your breathing or movement.
- Experiment with layers. Layering can be a great way to add interest and depth to your outfit. Try layering a cardigan over a blouse, or a denim jacket over a dress.
- Don’t be afraid of color and print. Many plus size women are told to stick to dark colors and avoid bold prints, but this is a myth. Experiment with different colors and prints to find what works for you.
- Emphasize your favorite features. If you love your arms, wear sleeveless tops. If you love your legs, wear skirts or shorts. Dressing for your favorite features can help boost your confidence and make you feel great.
In conclusion: Being a plus size woman can come with its own set of challenges, but it’s important to remember that you deserve to feel confident and comfortable in your body. With the right mindset, shopping strategies, and dressing tips, you